Thursday, April 4, 2013

Upgrading the front suspension

Many would argue that suspension is the most important component on any performance ATV. I for one, am not going to argue this point. You can have all the horse power in the world, but if you can't hang onto your machine it's completely worthless.

Unfortunately, suspension is also the most expensive component to upgrade. Because of this, and because of my financial situation (paying for college) I wasn't able to go with a top-of-the-line suspension setup like Custom Axis or PEP. Instead, I opted to go with a set of WORKS Performance triple rate front shocks. After I received them, I sent them to Evan at SRS Suspension in California to be re-sprung and re-valved for my weight and riding style. Needless to say, Evan does incredible work and I was very pleased with the shocks when I got them back.

Before getting my shocks setup, I upgraded my OEM a-arms to a set of +2" aftermarket arms. Being 2 inches wider on each side, these a-arms help  with cornering and stability issues that were present with the narrow OEM a-arms.

Here is how the bike looked with the old 400ex shocks and OEM a-arms. (This picture was taken a few months after I bought it)

And here is my stance with my upgraded front suspension.




Here is a closer picture of my WORKS triple rates. Evan did a great job on my shocks, and I would recommend him to anyone looking to get suspension work done.

No comments:

Post a Comment