Thursday, April 11, 2013

Finally running!

Well folks, last weekend my dad and I were able to put some solid hours into Project Rebuild. In fact, we almost have it totally finished. The weekend started when I got home early Saturday afternoon. I changed into some grubby clothes and headed straight up to the shop. The first order of business was to re-torque my head (2 posts previous) and get my engine buttoned up.

After I finished that, I tore into my old school Answer Equalizer silencer (previous post). I spent most of the afternoon working on that little project, but I can't complain about how long it took seeing as how great it turned out!

We got the exhaust all sealed up with high-temp silicone and mounted with springs and brackets. Our next order of business was to deal with the radiator hoses. Unfortunately, the braided stainless steel hoses that my dad got me for Christmas were too small on the inner diameter. Oh well, only a minor setback. We were able to pick up some 3/4" hose the next morning... crisis averted!

I spent the rest of my Saturday night getting the carburetor ready to go and finishing up other odds and ends that needed to be taken care of before it could be started. Sunday was the big day. I headed back up to the shop after Church and mixed up some fuel.

Finally, after a little over a year, I'm ready to start my 250R again! Killswitch? Check. Gas on? Check. Choke? Check.

Here goes nothing!

First kick

Second kick

Third kick... BRAAAAAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Project Rebuild is a success! After a few high fives and hand shakes between my dad and I, it really started to sink in that my old R was up and running again. After a ton of personal and financial sacrifices I was really going to ride this beast again.

Video of the first (more like 3rd when the video was shot, but who's counting?) start of my BDT Pro-X 363 Honda TRX250R!

I still have a little work left to do before it's totally finished like: front fenders, braided radiator hose, and new foot pegs; but I was finally able to ride it again. It ran like a Honda usually does... flawlessly!


No comments:

Post a Comment