Thursday, March 14, 2013

It's the little things that count

In my opinion, going fast is only half the fun of owning a 250R. If you're like me, you might have the mindset of: "If you can't customize it, why have it?" During my rebuild I made an effort to totally restore each piece before I put it back on the machine.

In order to do a better job of this, my dad and I built a two-wheel buffing machine. One wheel is for cutting, the other is for polishing. We use this buffer on soft metals like aluminum, to buff them to a chrome-like finish. It can also be used on stronger metals like stainless steel.

It was pretty easy to make. I started with a nice tripod base, and mounted two electrical motors to it. We got our buffing wheels and compounds from http://www.jestcoproducts.com.

Needless to say, my father and I are absolutely thrilled with the results.


Here are some pieces we buffed. The radiator is looking a little dusty/scratched, I'll probably re-polish it sometime soon.






Here are some before/after pictures of some pieces I did on my buddy's YFZ480. I apologize for the after pictures... the lighting is pretty bad; but the pieces turned out great.






No comments:

Post a Comment